Monday, May 16, 2011

Vacation?!?!?

Our annual family trip has been booked since February. PTO was requested and approved; our cabin has been reserved and it has been marked on the calendar is pink marker!!

I was so ready for my annual family vacation to Wisconsin. Work has been crazy, between softball and soccer we rarely have free time, and I just need to put the BlackBerry down…

Then (cue the dun, dun, dun) a huge project comes up at work. And when I say huge, I mean HUGE!! And while I am so proud of myself that I was chosen for this difficult task (enormous confidence boost), the timing couldn’t have been worse.  I would be leaving for Wisconsin from Alabama!  Needless to say, this makes the organization/planning/scheduling/packing extremely difficult. 

My current plans are work extra this week (well, as extra and late as one can get with softball practice on Tuesday, preschool graduation and my birthday on Thursday; softball games on Friday and Saturday, a family birthday party on Saturday, and soccer on Sunday). I fly out on Monday and would fly to Wisconsin on Wednesday night. This means packing the girls, van and me on Sunday – whew!

I don’t want to let my boss/co-workers down, but I also don’t want to make this vacation a “working vacation.” Has anyone ever run into this issue? Can a working mom with a huge project actually put down the BlackBerry? Or does anyone have tips for not letting work interfere with vacation?

Thanks for the advice!

Jean Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment