Monday, May 23, 2011

Monday, Monday

The craziness that currently is my life can pretty much be summed up in the phone call I got at 9 a.m. from the guy I had come out and give us an estimate on fixing our fence:

Me: Hello?
Fence Guy (FG:):  Hi Karen. This is FG.  We're all set. 
Me:  What? 
FG:  We're all set. 
Me:  Do you mean with the contract?  I got it, and I'll sign it and send it back to you today. 
FG:  No.  I mean your fence is all set. We fixed it.  Didn't you notice? 
Me:  Umm. . . No. 

That's right.  We had a HUGE, gaping hole in our fence for months and I've been so distracted that I did not even notice that someone came out and fixed the thing. 

In fairness to me, I did not expect the work to be done already.  As the above conversation shows, I had not yet signed the contract (although I had orally authorized him to do the work).  And, I hadn't been home all weekend.  I got home at 9 p.m. on Thursday night and had to pack all four of us for a trip to Des Moines over the weekend.  We left for Des Moines around 5 a.m. the next day because I had a court call at 9:30 in the quad cities.  We then spent three days in Des Moines, and thanks to the crazy weather last night, didn't get home until 10:15 last night.  So I haven't really had a lot of opportunity to evaluate my fence.  But I did look outside this morning.  I just did not notice that the huge, gaping hole had been fixed.  Oops. 

Conversations like this morning's make me worried that I'm overlooking some other big, huge gaping holes in my life.  That I'm so distracted that I'm not noticing things that I really shouldn't be able to miss.  And if I'm missing these big things, imagine all of the little things that don't even cross my radar!  I wish I could say that I'm missing these things because I'm focused on the little things in life, but that certainly isn't the case. I haven't met up with a girlfriend or updated the kids' baby books or done any of those other "little" things that actually mean a lot in what feels like forever.  Nope, we're just doing the bare essentials to get by. 

Hopefully things will change soon.  We don't have travel plans for the first time in three weeks, and I have a list of around-the-house projects to do.  Hopefully we'll be able to make some progress in a bunch of different areas and start June off on a better foot.  In the meantime, however, I can't wait to go  home and take a look at my fence!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment