Monday, March 21, 2011

Out with the Old

Every year around this time I start to feel like my closet resembles the weather: everything is dark, tired and dull.  After a winter full of heavy, dark days, my soul longs for something bright or playful, something that hints at the promise of summer.  So every year around this time I go shopping. 

This year was no exception.  Thanks to some fresh-to-me designs and irresistible sales, I have some new additions in my closest and a not insignificant balance on my credit card. But I still don't feel like I've made a dent in my dreary wardrobe.  The fact is, a few new items can't entirely change the tone of an entire wardrobe.  And the tone of my wardrobe was old. 

 With a preschooler and a toddler, I'm no stranger to the Goodwill truck.  We have a box of stuff for them almost every month.  But I hadn't really given my own closest a good once over in apparently years.  I was wearing clothes that I had purchased pre-kids and in some cases, pre-career.  These are not items I spent a lot of money on with the anticipation that I'd have for years and years to come.  They were make-due-at -the-moment kinds of purchases that should have been disposed of long ago.  Why was I still wearing these things? 

The answer is simple: I never made time for myself.  There always seemed to be something better to do with the time or the money that would have been spent on a Karen-exclusive shopping trip.  But, as I've mentioned before, I think it is important for working women - moms especially - to look fresh.  Having an updated wardrobe is part of that.  And looking good makes me feel better about myself.  I don't need to be showing up at soccer practice in the latest designs, but I don't need to be wearing some worn-out black pants from 2003, either. 

This year I bought more than one or two things to spice up my wardrobe.  And I donated almost every item that pre-dated KJ (some suits a notable exception).  While I have fewer items to choose from each morning, the items I have are better.  They are more professional, fit better, are more true to who I am today.  A lot has changed since 2003.  And I'm glad to say now my clothes have too. 

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment