Friday, March 11, 2011

The Inevitable Question

First, let me apologize for my absence. I was traveling for work last week and mixed up my blog days.


Second, if there are any spelling errors or typos on this post, please forgive me. I managed to contract a bacterial eye infection and am having trouble seeing. Luckily, this is not contagious, but the ointment is a pain to use!

Now, to the blog…

As many of you know, I am not a “traditional” lawyer. I work-in house for a financial institution in the operational risk world. And while the corporate world has many attractive features, one feature that is not my favorite is the annual review. The review revolves around past and current goals, objectives, etc. It also talks about developmental plans, and since I am new to my position, this was pretty easy. But then my boss asked this:

“Where do you see yourself in 5 years?” (Cue the dun, dun, dun music)

Hmmm….where do I see myself in 5 years? Are you kidding? I am just trying to make it through the week without running late to a meeting, answering my emails, folding laundry and trying to find a time to work out. 5 years?

As a working mom, I have lots of plans and goals, but many of them are focused on the Mommy world (not the working world). In 2013, I want to take the family to Disney World. We have our annual trip to Wisconsin, and this year we are headed to Florida. Tee ball practice starts March 31st, and soccer begins soon after that. Plus, we have family birthday parties in April and May, and Easter dinner at my house. (I am not even mentioning kindergarten in the Fall…)

As for the working world, given the uncertain times, I am mainly just happy to have a job. Since I am so new to my position, I could see myself in it for a while. But career plans? At one point, I thought I would love to be “in charge of” or the “leader” in the compliance world. But as I look around, those “in charge” don’t seem to have that home/family life that I want. And while I may send emails late at night, it is because I left the office early for swimming lessons or a dentist appointment. And it is not that I am lazy or do not have initiative, I am just at a point in my life where I am comfortable.

At this point, I could segue into a discussion into why women should be able to have both roles, but I just don’t have the time to get on my soapbox right now.

And you may ask, what was my answer? It went something like this “I am happy where I am right now.”

Luckily, my boss just smiled. Thank goodness he has kids too!

Jean Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment