Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Keep In Touch

I think everyone writes that at the end of a letter (or nowadays, email). I know I do. And, for the most part, I mean it. And most of the time, I fully intend to do just that. Unfortunately, a little problem arises…a problem called time.


*Disclaimer – the “most part” and “most of the time” is meant for those casual acquaintances or business partners that you had to work with, and don’t have any basis to continue the relationship.*

With all of today’s technology, you would think I would be better at keeping in touch. A quick email there, a short “hello” on Facebook – these should be helpful tools, not burdens, right? Unfortunately, sometimes I feel like my brief connect could be construed as a weak attempt to reconnect or a little too late thought.

I would like to think that I am a great friend/family member/co-worker, but honestly, I am selfish with my time. When I have “free” time (and most of you know this is a mirage!), I am actually trying to do stuff for ME! Yep, Year of the Mommy continues, albeit on a much smaller scale than I had hoped. But with the weather getting warmer, a free moment for me means my iPod and a run/walk. Or outside grilling out and watching A & B play in our yard, while soaking up the sun!

For the people I would like to reconnect with, I feel that a short conversation or email is not enough. But I also am not sure what to say other than “Hey, how’s it going?” or “What have you been up to in the last XX years?” Plus, it is not like I have a multitude of exciting things to mention in summary for the last XX years.

Now, this isn’t a pity or a try and alleviate my guilt post. I would really like to know your thoughts on how to get and keep in touch!

And to those wonderful people I have lost touch with, please know that I think of you often and wish we could sit down over a piece of pie and talk.

Jean Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment