Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Man

Last night, as my hubby and I were watching Modern Family on the DVR (love this show!!), a commercial for Extreme Makeover: Home Edition with Ty Pennington came on (I wasn’t quick enough with the fast forward button). And the following conversation ensued:

Me: “That show always makes me cry.”

Hubby (in a falsetto voice meant to mimic me): “Oh, I love you Ty.” (snicker, snicker).

Me: “Yes, I do because he could have built my 3rd car garage for half the price AND put in my new light for the hallway already.”

Now, I was not trying to make my hubby feel bad, but he is just not handy around the house (plus, he deserved a little back talk for trying to make fun of me!). In all honesty, he does mow the lawn, shovel/snowblow, do the majority of the landscaping, take out the garbage, and makes a valiant attempt at most household projects. He just isn’t quite as adept or have the knowledge to tile my bathroom, put my new light in, or fix the drain in our shower. I don’t think it is a lack of motivation, just a lack of knowledge. On the bright side, he is enthusiastic to help my dad and learn from him. But he just doesn’t have that natural handyman ability.

Unfortunately, for him, my family is pretty handy. And I am a daddy’s girl, so if I want something fixed, I still turn to my dad. New light fixture for the guest room – call dad and it is up within the week. Snowblower broken – call dad, he brings over his own and fixes ours. Close to dead battery in the van – Dad goes up to O’Reilly’s Auto Parts and helps hubby put it in. In addition to my dad, my uncle and grandfather are extremely talented too.

I understand I didn’t marry my hubby for his caulking abilities. And he didn’t marry me for my cooking abilities. But sometimes I wish I didn’t have to pay a small fortune for someone to install new carpet for me in my bedroom.

On a positive note, at least A & B can learn with Daddy while watching Grandpa put up my new light!

Jean Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment