Friday, February 11, 2011

Just Try a Bite

Picky, picky, picky. Those words are very accurate descriptions of my daughters. From shoes and games, to books and dresses, A & B are very particular in their choices. Their “picky-ness,” however, shines at the dinner table.

Full disclosure here, I am also a very picky eater. I know as my aunt and cousin are reading this post, they are laughing and nodding their heads in agreement. Growing up, I ate a lot of bread and butter, PB&J and pasta. If I didn’t like what my mom was making, I always had a second choice of PB&J or cereal. In fact, I was so picky, I would only eat the lasagna my aunt made and mac n’ cheese at my Grandma Fields (it was just Kraft). To this day, I don’t like salad or cottage cheese, and I despise mayo.

So when A & B were old enough to start trying new foods, I was prepared. One night I sat at the dinner table in an attempt to make B try a veggie of some sort. After 15 minutes, my hubby was ready to toss in the towel, but I just sat there as calm as can be. (I remember a similar situation when I was growing up: I was left in my Grandma’s kitchen for over an hour over 3 green beans. And I was victorious). After 30 minutes with B, she took 3 bites! Woo-hoo!

So hubby and I have continued to try this method. But, honestly, we don’t have time every night to spend 30 minutes on 3 bites. They need to eat something, otherwise, at 9 PM, they will be hungry again. Sadly (or positively), at preschool, they eat pretty much everything (well, except peas.)

I read the articles on childhood obesity and healthy kids. I limit the amount of candy (well, except for Grandpa’s spoiling), chips, and other junk. Plus, the girls are active in swimming, dance, and soon soccer and tee ball. So, I am not too worried. But I would really like them to eat more fruits and veggies.

So does anyone have any tips or tricks to get their kids to try new foods? Or any methods that did not work? Or has heredity already kicked in?

Thanks!

Jean Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment