Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day of Rest??????

Whatever happened to Sunday being a day of rest? I can remember all the years where Sunday meant lying around, enjoying a movie, or just kicking back. Now, Sundays are anything BUT relaxing.
Want to see how far I have come from the days of the relaxing Sunday?? Well, allow me to share with you my past Sunday:

4:00 a.m. – L wakes up for a bottle. L is the greatest baby in the world so really when he does wake up for a bottle it usually is only 10 minutes max and then he returns to his peaceful slumber.

7:00 a.m. – Woken up by H’s excited voice: “Mommy its morning!!”. Kids and I travel downstairs to start our day.

7:15 a.m – Feeding time – Feed the baby, feed the kids, feed the dog…notice who was forgotten from this list??? Oh well, there’s always lunch.

8:00 a.m. – Time to get dressed. In a tornado of jeans, shirts, a onesie, socks, underwear, and diapers I manage to get them all put together! Have my typical Sunday “argument” with J: “Honey, its Sunday and we’re not doing anything…you don’t need to wear a fancy dress”.

8:15 a.m. – Realize that it is after 8:00 a.m. and we have so much to do so I run upstairs…time for a shower? Not really. So I settle for a quick jump in for blast of water and soap and deal with the fact I didn’t get to wash my hair. No time for makeup really, so brush the hair and teeth, put on jeans and a long-sleeve shirt and give myself the “This will have to due” look in the mirror.

8:30 a.m. – Server down at work, which means I was not able to work during my normal “evening shift” i.e. after the kids go to bed. So we have to go down to the office. Bundle up the kids in a slew of coats and hats and load up the mini-van. Park in the deck and juggle L in his car seat, hold J and H’s hands and try not to drop the large bag of toys I have packed to try and keep the kids entertained.

8:40 – 11:00 a.m. – Office time with the 3 Muskateers. For me, it was a time that I could work on a motion I had due…for them they got to litter/decorate my office with post-it notes, tape, and my business cards. Again L sealed the deal as best baby in the world because he sat on my floor playing with the same 3 rattles this entire time.

11:15 a.m. – Back home and time for lunch. J wants a “Turkey sandwich with cheese”, H wants “Turkey sandwich…no turkey”, L may not want it but he’s getting peas and apples. And finally I get a chance to grab something to eat…although after trying to remember who wanted their sandwich cut, who didn’t, who wanted apple juice, who wanted chocolate milk, and refereeing the battle over who got more Goldfish on their plate I settle for some turkey and cheese thrown haphazardly on some bread.

12:00 p.m. – Wake the husband up (who was sleeping from being up all night working the night before) and deliver to him the boys. They all lie down for a nap, while J and I head to cheerleading practice.

12:15 p.m. – Watch my little cheerleader enjoying her class!

1:00 p.m. – Weekly grocery shopping trip. I always like going alone because when the kids are with me my cart ends up having 90% snacks, 10% food. But, due to the time constraints I have to take J. We manage to get out alive during a Sunday rush at the store! Of course we had time for another “argument” regarding why she couldn’t get a happy birthday balloon bouquet because her birthday is not until July.

2:00 p.m. – Home to put groceries away, i.e. the game to find the bags of frozen/cold food first so several hours later I don’t come across a container of butter that was left out with the cereal and chips.

2:15 p.m. – Realize that I forgot the eggs I need for the meatloaf. J and I jump in the van and head to the store AGAIN. Of course J needs something for her so we settle on reddish purple lip gloss.

2:30 p.m. – Start dinner so that it is ready by the time Todd goes to work. Meatloaf put in the oven.

2:45 p.m. – Wake up Todd so I can get some time to work on the motion I didn’t finish this morning. Kids wake up from nap and play with Daddy while I work.

4:30 p.m. – Finish Motion and email it to the assigning partner. Check the meatloaf and make mashed potatoes (thankfully talked the hubby into peeling the potatoes!). Rolls in the oven, corn in the microwave. Try to explain to H why he can’t have Toy Story fruit snacks with his dinner, but give up and decide to pick my battles. I toss a Toy Story fruit snack next to his plate...do fruit snacks count as a serving of fruit?

5:00 p.m. – Dinner on the table. Sit down with the family even though Todd has to leave home by 5:15 to get to work. Dinner interrupted by a call from the senior partner who tries to talk loud enough over J as she demands justice after her brother looked at her wrong. The partner tells me he needs a set of jury instructions for a trial he has in the morning. Start to panic a little bit knowing the server was still down and I’d have to go back down to work.

5:45 p.m. – Bundle up the kids and head down the office again. Get to work to find out that the senior partner doesn’t need the jury instructions. Head back home.

6:00 p.m. - Clean up the kitchen and start a load of laundry.

6:30 p.m. – Bath time. 3 kids washed and scrubbed…I change my shirt since L recently discovered how much fun it is to splash in the big boy tub!

7:15 p.m. – Back down stairs after bath -three cleaned and jammied up kids in tow. Give L his bottle while J and H play Toy Story!

7:30 p.m. – Good night little L. A quick Lullabye and snuggle and off to dream land. Say a little thank you prayer to God for such a great baby.

7:45 p.m. – Snuggle up on the couch with J and H and watch Toy Story 3 for the 1000th time. Laugh when they seemed surprised about something that happens!

8:00 p.m. – Snack time…cheese and crackers plated and served! And yes I actually remembered myself here too!

8:30 p.m. – Upstairs to get ready for bed. Brush teeth, potty time, story time, H’s “Goodnight” song, J’s “lay with me for 9 minutes Mommy”. Kisses, hugs, I love you’s, one more hug, one more kiss, "close my closet", "turn my night light on", "Mommy does Santa live in heaven?"... and finally… Good night J and H!

9:00 p.m. – Return downstairs and change out laundry.

9:15 p.m. – Sit down to prepare for a trial the next day.

11:30 p.m. – Finish work and text with Todd for awhile to vent on my day.

12:00 a.m. (Monday)– Let the dog out, fold laundry, and start to watch Brothers and Sisters – desperate for some downtime with the Walker clan. Could wait until tomorrow but know I have to watch it now before someone ruins it for me the next day!

1:00 a.m. – Hit the pillow and sigh knowing that tomorrow is already Monday again!

So again I have to ask…what happened to relaxing Sundays? Maybe they will make their appearance again in about 20 years???

Mandi

No comments:

Post a Comment