Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pet Peeves

As many of you know, I work in a corporate setting instead of your typical law office. My set up is a little different than most attorneys, as I don’t have my own office. Basically, I am in cube world (picture the movie Office Space). So, as I sat down to write my post for today over my lunch “hour,” I kept hearing this annoying squeaking from the printer.


And no, this is not my personal printer at my desk, but the communal printer which several departments use. So pretty much not more than 2 minutes go by and I hear “squeak, squeak, squeak.” Given tough economic times and the make the best use of your resources ideals, this means you do not call the tech department unless something explodes or in on fire. So the squeaking will continue…

So there are no profound thoughts for this post, as I am like the hamster with the squeaky wheel (literally) today. But it did get me thinking about different office pet peeves:

1. Squeaky printers that everyone complains about, but no one can fix

2. People that stand at your desk while you are on the phone (and continue to stand there even when you give them the “this is going to be a while look.”)

3. People that keep talking to you even when you have a ton of work to do, and to make your point, you turn away from them and begin typing an email.

4. Loud talkers

5. Calling the “help desk” for your computer/phone issues, but receiving no help at all, except “why don’t you try restarting your computer.”

6. People who schedule meetings over the lunch hour

7. People who schedule meetings when the topic could have been covered in an email

I am sure that there are more pet peeves, and I am quite sure that I have committed some of these offenses. But until someone fixes that squeak, I’ve got nothing.

Feel free to add to this list. I can’t wait to see what other office pet peeves there are out there. And for all of you Office Space fans “why does it say paper jam, when there is no paper?”

Happy Squeak-Free Thursday!

Jean Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment