Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Resolved: I'm a slacker


New Year’s this year was kind of a bust.  We had plans to go over to our friends’ and play games and eat yummies.  Instead, we stayed home because H had a fever and a wracking cough that was so bad she vomited, more than once.  We had plans for the next day, too, so no “Chipwrecked” for us.  It’s getting to be quite a habit for her – illness on special occasions. I hope it doesn’t last.

So this year, my “resolution” was to be more work-focused.  I don’t know why, but lately I have been feeling like a slacker.  I take afternoons off, don’t work the weekends, sometimes I feel like a part-timer.  My billable hours are still good, though.  On the 1st, I came down and finished up a few things and completed my billing for the month.  A respectable 137 last month, even with the holidays.  I know that I get my work done, and that there are times when I don’t have anything billable to do, but I still feel guilty not spending more hours in the office.  Maybe it’s because I’m a partner now. I should be more ‘responsible’… I don’t know.  

Anyway, yesterday was my first day back to work after the holiday, and my resolution went out the window.  I had to drive an hour for a morning hearing and had an afternoon hearing, and by then, I was done.  I just wanted to go home. So I did.  I knew that there were things at the office I could have done for an hour or so, but I didn’t care.  I knew I would be in the office today, and in my opinion, unless there’s a deadline, anything can wait until tomorrow. My resolution did not change me – not even one little bit.  It didn’t survive a day.  I think my December billing shows (enough to satisfy ME anyway) that my system works. Bust your butt when you’re working and don’t work when you don’t have to.  It’s a good balance for me…I still felt guilty taking an early afternoon yesterday, though. 

I hope that (if you want to) you all have more resolve than I do to make your New Year’s resolutions a reality! Have a great year, everyone.  

Christine

1 comment:

  1. If you have the bills paid, go home. Work to live, don't live to work is my motto, don't let the "guilt" get to you. No one ever says on their death bed "gee, I wish I would have stayed at work an extra hour." That is why I loved Paris so much, Euros love their vacation time and cannot fathom how we have people here who throw it away! Long lunches with friends, good books, enjoying the simple things is how they live, my resolution for life is to always remember Paris... ; )

    ReplyDelete