Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Lost Toy

LOST

Lost: Silver fabric toy sword that accessorizes Groovy Girls Knight Keanan.  Rare, in that it Keanan is sold only in specialty toy stores.  Last seen Friday, August 26, 2010 in KJ's bedroom.  Sentimental value.  Reward offered.  Please email with information.  PLEASE!!!!

For the last two days, I have been driven stark raving mad over a lost purple-and-silver fabric sword that goes with the special knight that KJ's special friend picked out especially for him for his birthday.  The cutest part of the toy is the sword, and since it was unattached, I was aware of the possibility of it getting lost. 
For weeks, KJ has had the knight at school.  But this week, KJ was transitioning from preschool to pre-k, so I had him bring the knight home, so that nothing would get lost.  (Yes, I see the irony here)

And that's where it all went wrong.  KJ slept with the knight for a night or two.  And I remember laying him down for nap one day and hearing him play with it for a while.  But that's the last I've seen of the sword.  For a day or so, I thought it was caught up in his sheets and tens of stuffed animals.  But last night I stripped the bed and no sword.  Uh oh. 

I searched everywhere for that sword. Under couch cushions, in the toy box, in his book bin, in his dresser drawers.  I pulled out the clothes I had put into storage this weekend to see if the sword got stuck in there.  I've looked everywhere.  No sword. 

I've asked KJ repeatedly where he thinks it might be, and every time I get a different answer.  For a kid that can remember events going back to when he was 18 months old, the fact that he can't remember where he left his sword two days ago is maddening.  He has to know where it is. 

Husband has been no help in the sword-finding mission.  Of course he gave a cursory look, but when the sword wasn't immediately visible, Husband wisely declared that KJ had hidden it somewhere where we can't find it.  As if I didn't know that.  He then sat down to watch tv.   

Me?  I'm plagued by the lost sword.  Lost toys are my enemy.  Every night, I clean up the kids' toys and I make sure that each and every piece is there.  I know how many matchbox cars KJ has, where all the doll shoes are, and how many pieces of fruit should be in the play kitchen.  Some nights, I even count the Legos.  And when something is missing, I find it.  I'll turn my house upside down to find a toy piece.  Few pieces have evaded me: I can only think of two that have been missing for more than 48 hours, and only one of those remains at large.  I'm starting to sweat that the sword will make number 3. 

I really, really want to find the sword.  It's a cool toy, and KJ will like it better with the sword.  Plus, it was a special gift from his first crush.  I want to be able to pull it out and show him that when he's older.  But I'm getting worried that it got caught up in some clothes I returned or was put somewhere where we'll never find it.  I guess I should be grateful that I'm the only one sweating it right now, but if any of you moms have stumbled upon some clever hiding spots I should check out, all suggestions are welcome.  I'm just super grateful there's a three-day weekend coming up: more time to look for the sword. 

Karen

1 comment:

  1. Karen, once when my daughter was 4, she picked up my engagement ring off the kitchen counter. I'm not sure how long it took me to realize that it was gone, but we searched frantically for it for hours. Then, she remembered where she put it - outside, in the seat of her big wheel! Here's my advice on the sword based on my own experience: Throw the knight away, and you'll find it immediately thereafter!

    ReplyDelete