Monday, January 3, 2011

Resolutions

Wow, the first post of 2011. Doesn't seem possible that we are starting another year. And of course since we've just started the New Year that means we must all start working on our New Year resolutions. In December we all start to talk about our resolutions but then when January 1st comes along we have to walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

This year I find myself with more resolutions than I have ever had in years past. Of course the standard "return customers" are present such as lose weight, eat healthier, kick my Diet Pepsi addiction, save more money, spend less money, exercise more, make more time for myself, spend more time with my husband....yadda, yadda, yadda.  But this year on my list is a seemingly odd resolution. A resolution that holds the top spot amongst my list.

Keep things the way they are.

I know this seems like a really strange resolution. I mean resolutions are things we want to change right?  This one couldn't be farther from that. This resolution is to avoid change at all costs. And this resolution is one I cannot ignore or toss to the side like we all often do with our resolutions.

I have found myself at the start of a terrifying year of change. I have now entered the world of partnership. I have mentioned this in my blogs before and so if you have read those you know what major changes I will be experiencing in my life this year. So many unknowns, so many new adjustments.  

Since I have found out about my partnership, my stress level is at an all time high. See, I am a person who doesn't take well to change. I am a very routine, very structured perfectionist. I feel most comfortable in my life when I can control it. Yes, I am a control freak.

But now, I'm losing the control over a big portion of my life. In 2010 I knew what I made, I could live by a budget, I knew what was expected of me professionally. In 2011, I have no idea how much I will make and a whole new set of pressures upon me. I now have so many loads upon my shoulders...loads I fear will be very hard to carry.

So in the midst of all these changes...keeping things normal is crucial to my survival. Admist all the stresses I am embarking on, all the uncertainites, all the pressure, I have to keep my home life the same. Yes, my work life is now turned on its head and so now I have to strive to make sure my home life does not do the same.  This way after a hard day of work I can return home to the comfort of normalcy.

But keeping things the same when a big portion of my life is changing is harder than I thought. Because the demands at work will be higher, I have to restructure the way I do things. I have to find a way of making my new career life balance with my home life. I basically have to scrap the old balance I had worked so hard to acheive and create a new one.

So this year while others are trying to change their lives, I am going to fight hard to keep mine as close to normal as possible. I want to continue to do all the things I do now for my kids. I want to be the Mom I am and weather the storm with all the stress. In other words I want this New Year resolution to turn out a lot better than all those weight loss resolutions I have had over the years.

So good luck on all your New Year Resolutions! Let's make 2011 the year when we all meet our New Year resolutions!

Mandi

No comments:

Post a Comment