Thursday, July 21, 2011

Big Day!!

As I sat down to write this last night, I started reminiscing about July 20th, 2006. (If you watch Phineas and Ferb, right now insert Dr. Doofenshmirtz saying “Flashback!”) It was a long night, as I knew that the next day I would give birth to my twin daughters, A & B. So many thoughts were running through my head that night:


• Would labor go “smoothly?”

• Would I be in a lot of pain?

• Would they be ok?

• How far apart would they be born?

• Would I be a good mom?

• Would I ever sleep again?

The next morning at 6:20 AM, they began inducing labor. Then came the “happy shot” to take away my pain. My hubby was in and out, pacing and nervous – not sure of what to do or how to help. Then my parents came from Illinois (funny story about timing and moving!). And throughout all of this, all I could think of was hoping that my girls would be ok.

At approximately noon, I was taken back to the delivery room. With twins, things are a little different, as you get a staff for each twin, plus nurses, doctors, and other assistants. All in all, 16 people were in my delivery room and my modesty was eliminated for life! My nurses were wonderful and at 12:29 PM, A was born. There was a moment of stress, as my hubby didn’t know what to do – should he go with his new daughter or help his wife with B? I quickly told him to go with A and 4 minutes later (it really seemed like 4 seconds) out came B.

Looking back, I realized I didn’t get the “typical” mom experience after giving birth. A & B were taken to the NICU and I was taken back to my room. I didn’t get the “here’s your new baby” placement in my arms and actually did not get to see my girls until about 5 hours later. But when I did see them, it was scary in that overwhelming feeling that I was now responsible for these 2 perfect angels. Also, they were so tiny (5 lbs. 4 ozs. and 4 lbs. 8 ozs.). Plus, they were in little incubators with IVs, little bandages and lamps for jaundice.

When I finally got to hold them that night, it was the most amazing moment. Just sitting there snuggling with these little angels in the quiet room with my hubby sitting near me, it was so peaceful and perfect. At that moment, no worries filled my mind and a huge smile crossed my mind and heart.

And in those past 5 years, my heart has continued to smile. While there have definitely been challenges along the way (can you say not sleeping through the night until 18 months!), my love for them continues to grow. And I can honestly tell you that I am the luckiest mom in the world.

Happy birthday to my beautiful girls A & B!! Now everyone needs to go have some cake!!

Jean Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment