Thursday, July 14, 2011

Warts and all...

Well, I’m back…late as usual. I am beginning to think lunch hour really starts at 2 or 3 PM in the afternoon. And while I could regale you with wildly entertaining stories of vacation and work, that is not the case. Plus, I just had a horrible mommy moment and needed to share/vent/cry.

On Tuesday night, we took B to get 3 warts on her the bottom of her foot removed for the 2nd time. No worries, right? It had been 3 weeks since she had had them frozen off and they had not gone away, so back we went to the urgent care clinic.

So as we sat in the examination room, the doctor started talking about needing to numb her foot and “dig in” to get rid of all of the bacteria. What? No cool freezing it off and then dumping the “cool stuff” on the floor? But if he said that freezing it wouldn’t work, who was I to question him? I only went to law school and my “mommy doctoring” only includes Hello Kitty and Scooby Doo Band-aids!

My hubby gave me a look and I snottily told him “wow – I didn’t know when you went for your MD,” basically because he always questions doctors and it just annoys me. But as I sat there holding my daughter as she was screaming her head off, crying and shaking, I realized he was right. It was horrible, but I tried to console myself that this pain would be temporary and she would bounce back when we got home. And I was right…until about 9:30 PM.

And that was when the crying started…and continued all through the night. She would wake up every 20 minutes screaming and crying that she was in pain. And there was nothing I could do. Tylenol, ibuprofen, ice – nothing would work. I learned that from 2 to 3:30 AM Nick Jr and Disney have cute kids shows. And that the worst feeling in the world is knowing there is nothing I can do when my child is screaming out in pain.

So yesterday brought a day “off” from work, trying to recoup from a sleepless night, still worrying about B. We FINALLY got through to the doctor’s office and got B more pain medicine – but only after 4+ hours of waiting. And then the bandage came off (another 30 minutes of screaming hysterically) for her bath. Finally, sleep…

I, sadly, understand that this utterly hopeless feeling of not being able to help my child will happen again. But, it nearly killed me and it will take me a long time to recover. But sharing this helped!  And I know that while I am not a perfect mom, even while I strive to be one, sometimes it doesn't always work out.  That I am just me - warts and all.  Thanks for listening.

And next time I promise a lifestyle of the rich and famous story!

Jean Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment