Friday, December 10, 2010

Prince Charming

Tonight, my family went to see Cinderella at the local playhouse.  I had been thinking about getting tickets to take the girls for weeks, but with Christmas expenses coming up and unsure of how well the girls would like a play, I decided it just wasn't meant to be.  But then my hubby surprised us with free tickets tonight!  And all I could think of was "Yay!  He actually thought of a family activity!"

As we watched the play, along with all of the other young girls in the audience, I remember growing up dreaming of Prince Charming.  In my version, he was tall, blond, tan and very handsome.  He held doors open for me, treated me to fancy parties and sparkly dresses, and of course, let me wear a tiara!  In this fantasy, I had servants and maids and lived in a huge castle. 

I don't know when I gave up on the ideal of Prince Charming, maybe I still haven't.  As most of you know, I am a practical person, who rarely has time for romance or dreams of servants.  I am a working mom, who must balance kids, daycare/preschool, swim lessons, dance class, WORK, chores, family time and time for the hubby.  A ball gown and high heels rarely fit into the picture.  But one day I would like to be swept off my feet, possibly waited on hand and foot.

Ok, so this free day isn't coming any time soon.  And realistically, I would just like a free hour to go get a pedicure (and comfy shoes!).  And my idea of what Prince Charming should be has become more realistic as well. 

My hubby is tall and handsome (at least I think so :)!  But he doesn't put me on a pedastal or worship me - we are partners.  We both work hard to take care of each other and our family.  And while some days, we don't agree on things, we still keep on loving each other.  Is it a fairy tale?  Not quite - but did Cinderella really live happily ever after?  And as for the tan...well, hubby is a red head, so that's not happening anytime soon. 

When I saw A & B looking up at their Daddy tonight with huge smiles and shining eyes, I thought there were actually 2 Prince Charmings there tonight.  One on stage and one sitting next to me. 

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo
Jean Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment