Thursday, September 9, 2010

Just a Mom with a JD

Well, first off, let me be honest. I don’t have the typical “lawyer” job. I don’t go to court; I don’t write briefs and I am not up to date on the latest Supreme Court decisions. In fact, I don’t even wear a suit to work! (Thank goodness, because my suits would not fit!). I work in a Compliance Department for a financial institution. I do research, presentations, reports, procedures, etc. I have managed a team of up to 5 people, balanced budgets, ordered equipment and written meeting agendas and minutes. So I have some different challenges to face being a Mom JD.

1. On a conference call while working at home on a snow day, you may hear my daughter tell the meeting attendees “Mommy, I have to go potty.” And yes, I can blush over the phone.
2. I dread the phone ringing at my desk. Every time I see an outside line, I pray it isn’t daycare telling me A or B (or A n’ B) is sick.
3. If the girls are sick, it is possible I will be on a conference call on my work phone while trying to track down my husband or Gma/Gpa to pick up the kids by email or cell phone.
4. I have to tell my kids “No, Mommy can’t see you at swim lessons today. I have to go to work.” And hating every word I am saying.
5. When the boss tells me I have to fly wherever for an offsite meeting, I smile weakly, knowing that my family can’t go with me (and the guilt and scheduling that comes with me leaving).
6. If I am in UAT, my test names will probably follow a Disney pattern (i.e. First Name: Perry; Middle Name: the; Last Name: Platypus or First Name: Princess; Middle Name: Ariel; Last Name: Mermaid)
7. I will not be joining in playdates and don’t know anyone at dance lessons/soccer lessons.
8. I will show up to soccer practice in a skirt and dress shirt.
9. I won’t be VP by 33 because I won’t be staying late to attend a networking event or requesting extra work.

Yes, I have heard it all regarding being a working mom. I do know that I am very lucky to have a job. Especially one that is very understanding about scheduling around doctor appointments, daycare, etc. I knew when I went to law school that I just wanted to do legal research and stay in-house.

And yes, I do understand that I could not live in as big of house, have “luxury” items (not sure what those are, but ok), and save more money. Then I could stay at home and not complain about work/missing my kids. But right now, I know that (or I comfort myself with):

1. A n’ B are learning more with their teachers and friends at pre-K and daycare then I could teach them.
2. They have definitely made some wonderful friends at school.
3. I am teaching them that as a woman they can have it all
4. I do like my “luxury” lifestyle.

Will this change? You bet! I would love to work part-time. I want to be able to take the girls to practice, school, dance lessons. And yes, I want to be the Mom that always has yummy treats (don’t laugh – I can cook!). But right now, I am just doing the best I can.

Jean Anne

1 comment:

  1. One of the hardest things IS being away from the kids, but like you, I know that I am teaching my kids a sense of responsibility, independence and empowerment (at least I hope I am) - I also want my daughter to aspire to do whatever she can with her life. The other day in the grocery store she ask me "What do DADS do all day?!"

    ReplyDelete