Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"Come...join me!" she says in her best Zombie voice

Over the last two weeks, things in my life have changed - A LOT. 
About six months ago, I reluctantly went to my first Thirty-one party.  Now if you don't know what Thirty-one is, you are missing out. It is an organizing mother's dream - a huge variety of bags, totes, storage bins, etc. that come in a multitude of fun and coordinating patterns.  I say I went to the first party reluctantly because I had been intentionally avoiding Thirty-one. I knew I would get hooked...but it was for a friend's daughter's bridal party, so I went.  Boy, was I right. Hook. 


Then, a few months later, I got invited to another party. I had some basic pieces to work off of, so I needed a few more, right? and then, only a few short weeks later, ANOTHER party. By that time, I was so in love with the products that I wanted to have a party myself, so I scheduled one. Line.  


My Thirty-one party was on the 15th of April. It was a blast and I got so much free stuff, I was giddy! By this time, I was completed addicted, so my husband (jokingly, I think) said "just sell the stuff!."  That day, I decided to become a Consultant for Thirty-one. SINKER! 


I had my first party as a consultant the following Sunday, and it was a Smash! I had such an amazing time talking about what I love and getting to actually know some women in my community better.  I've lived in this community for almost 7 years, but my contact with the outside world has been fairly limited: local attorneys or "bad" people a/k/a clients.  I have gotten to know a few other parents casually through soccer, but I'm a relatively shy person. I don't make small talk and am not comfortable just initiating a conversation with someone I don't know.  At the party I was able to meet many women I only knew by name or by reputation...It made me remember what it was like to be a social person -to chat and laugh and gossip. 


Until then, I had completely forgotten that, yes, in my element, I am a social person. I like people.  My life had become so two-sided: the work side, which is social to a degree and the home side, which is mostly pretty mundane (not that I don't love playing with my kids; but it's really not the same). I have been missing out on the social bonding that was such a regular part of my life before my kids were born - the kind where other women are friends because of who they are and not because their child is friends with your child.  


After that party on Sunday, I feel like I have a new focus, a new goal. I'm excited about something again! Who knew how invigorating that could be?  Now, instead of going to bed after getting the kids to bed at 9, I work on my Thirty-one stuff. I have been more upbeat and positive this week, at work and at home, than I have been in a LONG time.  It sounds stupid and "cult"-ish to say that Thirty-one has changed my life - I always roll my eyes when I read the little inspiring stories in the catalogs...but the fact is, it's true.  Who knew that a (small :0)) obsession with a little bag could do so much! 


And finally, because what kind of addicted, overbearing and fanatical person would I be if I didn't try to convert you? Here's the link to my website. "Come...join me!" 
http://www.mythirtyone.com/163806/


Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment